Recent Fire Damage Posts

Electrical Fire Prevention

8/29/2019 (Permalink)

With cold weather on its way, we may be bringing out our trusted old heated blankets or space heaters. Not so fast. There are a few things you should consider before plugging in those used electrical items. Are there signs of distress? Such as discoloration on the cord? Are there signs of fraying? Always be sure to check before use. If any electrical item omits an unusual order discontinue use. Replace any outdated items, such as lamps that have cloth covered cords. They do not meet today's standards and pose a serious risk. Always be sure to change the batteries in your smoke detector and be sure they are in proper working condition. Smoke detectors should be replaced , at a minimum,  every 10 years. These simple steps can keep you, your family and your home out of harms way. 

Toss it in the trash: Items to remove after a fire

8/29/2019 (Permalink)

There are an innumerable amount of items, big and small, that get the brunt end of fire damage. But there are also items you may be unsure about. Canned food that has been exposed to heat may been safe, but its quite the opposite. Having been exposed to heat, bacteria had the opportunity to grow and amplify. Discard any perishable and non perishable food items in your home. The smoke and toxic chemicals may have tainted its quality. It is better to be safe than sorry. Cosmetics and medications follow closely behind. Having the ability to absorb toxins from the air, it is important to discard these items. Most obviously is to remove and discard any items that have been directly burned or has the remnants of soot. Nothing is worth risking your health. 

In a Cloud of Smoke.

7/2/2019 (Permalink)

Fire damage to your home or business bring with it disastrous results. Structural damage, lost property and the emotional trauma that follows can be difficult to recover from immediately. As much as we are aware of the destruction that fire causes, smoke is just as deadly,if not more so. If a fire occurs while you are asleep, smoke can be a fatal element. Not all items are lost in home and business fires. Some rooms may be completely decimated, while others remain relatively untouched. It is important to be aware of the hidden dangers of items effects by smoke. When a fire occurs, a toxic mix of chemicals are released from burning items. It is important to inspect your remaining furniture and have them properly cleaned before reuse. Our team at SERVPRO are ready for the call. Our crew of experts have extensive training and expertise to clean and reconstruct the damaging effects, to get you back on your feet, faster. 

Shut The Door!

3/26/2019 (Permalink)

A recent study has discovered that a closed door can save your life. In the unfortunate occurrence of a home fire, it has now been proven that, other than fire alarms, a closed door is essential. Within minutes of a fire located on a lower level, toxic fumes and suffocating smoke will have already made their way to the upper most rooms, stealing precious lifesaving minutes. A closed door acts as a shield between you and the damage raging outside. It also allows you time to formulate an escape plan, or if trapped, for rescue efforts to reach your location. A basic house fire can reach upwards of 1,100 degrees but by having your door remain closed prevents the atmospheric temperate of rising above 110 degrees. Hot, but survivable. By choosing this one simple step for your daily routine could be a lifesaving method that’s as simple as shutting the door.

As always, SERVPRO is here to give you tips to keep safe and will always be there when things go wrong.

Freeze Fire in Its Tracks: Fire Prevention During Winter

1/29/2019 (Permalink)

There’s nothing like staying warm through a bitter cold evening in Wisconsin. The whipping wind is notorious for its ability to steal your breath away in a matter of moments. Heat is essential and our only defense during the coldest months of the year. December, January and February bring the harshest wrath. As we are in the grips of a record cold forecast ahead of us, listed below are preventative measures and tips to keep in mind to prevent your home from going up in smoke.

Side effects of heating sources: Carbon Monoxide is a silent and invisible threat to every member of your home. It is an odorless and colorless gas that is commonly omitted from cooking equipment and heating appliances. Be sure to have proper ventilation and to have your equipment up to date to prevent the possibility of exposure to the poison. Having a CO reader in your home is an essential tool as well, as it detects the threat immediately.

Mood lighting: Candles are a common threat statistically in the winter months. Never leave a candle lit for more than 4 hours at a time. Supervision of any lit candle is advised at all times.

It’s electric: Electrical units are a leading cause of home fires in the United States. Lighting equipment, washer/dryer fans and space heaters are typically the culprit in these incidents. Following instructions and turning units off when unused is a preventative measure to take to avoid disaster. Never use any heating source unsupervised.

To avoid disaster this winter use these helpful tips to remain safe and cozy during the cold dark days.

Grease Lightning: Fires in the kitchen

1/11/2019 (Permalink)

The kitchen is the heart of the home. It is a universal meeting point to converse while rummaging for a snack and is an essential part of any household. So it should be no wonder to know that nearly 41 percent of fires originate in the kitchen area. Multiple factors can play into the dangers of in home fires, many of which we overlook. We will be going through a list of steps to take when confronted with a grease fire and how to practice the proper techniques to either get the fire under control, or remove yourself to seek help.

Once a fire ignites:

  • The most immediate approach you can take is to smother the flames with a cooking lid or cookie sheet. Leave on flame until it has been extinguished and the surface has cooled.
  • Immediately turn off the heat source
  • Baking Soda or Salt are the only two kitchen ingredients to be used when putting out a grease fire. Never use flour or any other substance to extinguish flames as they can make the fire worse.
  • If all else has failed and the fire is still manageable, use a fire extinguisher to control situation.

NEVER USE WATER TO PUT OUT GREASE FIRE FLAMES. Do not attempt to move burning items outside.

If all else fails:

  • If you cannot get the flames smothered it is imperative to immediately vacate the home and seek help. Kitchen fires can spread very quickly leaving you vulnerable and reduces your points of exit.
  • Close all doors behind you as you leave as it can help contain the spread of the flames.
  • Call 911 immediately from a safe distance.
  • Never under any circumstances reenter your home while fire is in progress.
  • Always have a current evacuation plan composed for your family to know which route is best to safely leave in the case of an emergency.

Home fire loss makes for a long process of recovery as well as the possibility of losing precious items that cannot be replaced. These simple steps and help you prevent disaster from striking and keep your family safe.

Smoke and Soot Clean up in your South Rock County Home

7/30/2018 (Permalink)

Smoke and Soot damage can cause a pervasive odor in your South Rock County home.



Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.  

Smoke and soot facts:

  • Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
  • Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
  • The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.

Different Types of Smoke

There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of South Rock County will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:

Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber

  • Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.

Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood

  • Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.

Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire

  • Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor. 

Our Fire Damage Restoration Services

Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions.  We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage.  We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.

Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (608) 563-5067