Are you prepared for the cleanup?
Disastrous weather affects us all. Creating multiple scenarios in which you will be left with a major clean up on your hands. From flood waters to toxic fumes, anything is possible after disaster strikes. It is important to be prepared for your own personal protection to avoid further catastrophe. Always have a first aid kit on hand when going near the disaster zone. Items that have come into contact with flood waters or soot and smoke resulting from a fire are highly dangerous. Take extreme caution to avoid injury. A simple scrape can progress into a serious infection if wounds are not immediately cleaned after contact with contaminated materials. Take frequent breaks and stay hydrated to prevent dehydration or exhaustion. Practice proper lifting techniques and never attempt to lift things that are excessively heavy. These very simple steps can prevent further complications for you in the future. SERVPRO of Rock County is always available to assist you in any event you may be faced with.
A Danger in the Night
A silent and deadly threat in any home in today's society would be carbon monoxide. An odorless, tasteless and colorless gas that has the potential to take your life as you sleep. Carbon monoxide stems from multiple sources, such as fuel burning appliances, fireplaces, wood burners, water heaters and space warmers. Having at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home can life saving. When installing your detector, place near bedrooms and or on the main floor. Do not place your alarm near windows or open space. Also do not install too closely to any appliance that may trigger a false reading. Be sure to always inspect your CO monitor and ensure it is in working condition. Early symptoms of CO poisoning can be mistaken for the flu, such as nausea and headache which progress quickly. Carbon Monoxide is a silent threat, but with the right tools and preparation, you have nothing to fear
Sparks Will Fly
In this day and age, it is safe to say that our most important information is harbored within our handheld devices. From iPads to Galaxy's, electronics are an ever present force in our daily lives. These items are relatively small and travel with us most everywhere we go. So what happens if your devices come into contact with unwanted liquids? The first action you should take is to ensure the device is powered off, then try to remove as much water as possible immediately. Shake as much of the liquid out as possible. Do not attempt to use any source of heat, such as baking your device or using a hairdryer. It will severely damage the circuits. Unfortunately, rice isn't a viable option. Studies show that rice is ineffective at absorbing water from your electronics. Our professionals at SERVPRO have the capabilities to help save your electronics and personal documents as well, give us a call today with any questions you may have.
When the water rises
With summer ending and fall weather approaching, it may not occur to us that flooding is possible at any time of year for multiple reasons. It is important to know what to do when you find yourself in high water with little time to spare. Move to higher ground immediately. Remaining at ground level or below heightens the possibility of injury. Be sure to keep children away from dirty water. Teens and children should be kept well away from contaminated items and unsanitary water. Be sure to follow the guide lines given by authorities and be aware of the dangers that are posed inside and outside of your location. Keep fresh water on hand, filling a bathtub with water is a good way of having water easily accessible. Be sure to become familiarized with your insurance and what it covers in advance. You never want to be caught in a situation that leaves you in over your head in costs for repairs. And as always, give us a call at SERVPRO to begin the restoration process. Flooding can be life changing. Always be prepared for what may came next.
Who To Trust
Choosing a restoration company when difficult times arise can be a very personal decision to make. SERVPRO understands that stress and other factors can make recovery from property loss strenuous. As opposed to other restoration companies, we are a one stop shop. Rather than having to seek help from multiple sources, we are able to complete work, from beginning to end, without any other outside assistance. This helps to expedite the time in which a job will be completed. Along with the right people, SERVPRO also has the right equipment. From fire damages, to flooding, bio-hazards and maintenance, we have seen and cleaned it all. Water damages can be a multilayered process. We have the expertise and experience to get to work on the issue and have it resolved. We understand the sanctity of your home and treat each and every room with the utmost respect and care. When you hire SERVPRO you hire family
We Clean Up What You Don't Want To!
Backed up sewage in your basement? Flood waters make a swamp of your living space? Don't stress about the time it would take you to repair. Our team at SERVPRO is willing and able to do the dirty work for you. With advanced equipment stored at our personal locations, we have the ability to have the tools required on hand, in order to answer the call faster than any other. Business owner? We handle that too. From broken water pipes to severe fire damage, we have seen and helped repair it all. Health hazards are abundant when it comes to contaminated material. Flood waters leave behind dangerous and toxic residue and materials that can be harmful to pets and humans alike. Proper gear is essential to keeping yourself safe during repairs. Our team of highly trained professionals have everything needed on demand to ensure you get back on your feet faster.
Electrical Fire Prevention
With cold weather on its way, we may be bringing out our trusted old heated blankets or space heaters. Not so fast. There are a few things you should consider before plugging in those used electrical items. Are there signs of distress? Such as discoloration on the cord? Are there signs of fraying? Always be sure to check before use. If any electrical item omits an unusual order discontinue use. Replace any outdated items, such as lamps that have cloth covered cords. They do not meet today's standards and pose a serious risk. Always be sure to change the batteries in your smoke detector and be sure they are in proper working condition. Smoke detectors should be replaced , at a minimum, every 10 years. These simple steps can keep you, your family and your home out of harms way.
Toss it in the trash: Items to remove after a fire
There are an innumerable amount of items, big and small, that get the brunt end of fire damage. But there are also items you may be unsure about. Canned food that has been exposed to heat may been safe, but its quite the opposite. Having been exposed to heat, bacteria had the opportunity to grow and amplify. Discard any perishable and non perishable food items in your home. The smoke and toxic chemicals may have tainted its quality. It is better to be safe than sorry. Cosmetics and medications follow closely behind. Having the ability to absorb toxins from the air, it is important to discard these items. Most obviously is to remove and discard any items that have been directly burned or has the remnants of soot. Nothing is worth risking your health.
Severe Weather vs Chimney
Severe weather comes in many forms and can cause multiple types of damages to your home or business. Strong winds and heavy rainfall can have a detrimental effect on vulnerable locations of any building. A local resident gave us an urgent call after a strong storm cell had passed through, demolishing parts of their chimney. When we arrived to the scene we immediately began to safely clear the debris and began the repair and rebuild process. Upon further inspection, we were able to find multiple points of entry that had allowed water to seep through, causing extensive moisture damage. Mold is a common side effect of unwanted water. Our crew was able to mitigate the situation and have their home repaired after extensive rehabilitation and rebuilding.
Keep it clean: Commercial buildings
Being a business owner, one understands the importance that your facility's image has on you clientele base. Having a clean and organized space for conducting business is essential. Our trained and experienced team of technicians know how to safely and efficiently sanitize any location, big or small. From hospitals to high school gym rooms, our crew has seen and cleaned it all. Having state of the art equipment, we are able to handle large areas in a reduced amount of time. Duct work throughout your business should be routinely cleaned and maintained. We have the tools and skill needed to get to those hard to clean areas and take the work off your hands. Our network of local businesses have been loyal to our services and we are proud to serve our community.